Moving away from home and going to college can be a significant life change. It can take a toll on both you and your relationships, especially one with a significant other. It can be difficult maintaining contact with one another but with the latest technology, keeping in touch is much easier. Maintaining the health of your relationships is essential to helping you grow and develop. So here are a few tips for helping maintain your relationships:
- Speak up when an argument arises. If you do not like a situation that has occurred, talk with that person. The best way to resolve an issue is to talk instead of letting it bottle up. Arguing over who is right or wrong will not solve anything; rationalize the situation and talk it out like an adult. Communication is key to successful and happy relationships.
- Show your partner that you respect them. Let them know that their opinion and thoughts matter and are of value. When you mutually respect one another it makes understanding each other’s point of view much easier.
- A large part of every relationship is compromise. Disagreeing is a natural part of every healthy relationship, but it is important to compromise so that both partners are satisfied. Talk through your problems and come to a conclusion that you both are happy with.
- Be supportive. Offer different levels of support, reassurance, and encouragement. Show your partner that you are there for them and give them your opinion if asked. Also remember to be courteous and caring, because you could someday be in the same position looking for their support.
- Respect each other’s privacy. Some separation does a relationship good because it gives you time to build and grow as individuals. Healthy relationships require space and being apart from one another helps by developing trust.
Creating boundaries is a good way to help maintain a healthy relationship. Setting boundaries together can help you both gain a deeper understanding of one another and the other person’s needs. Creating boundaries is not a sign of secrecy or distrust, but an expression of comfort and relationship needs. Remember, healthy boundaries should not restrict your ability to:
- Go out with your friends without your partner.
- Participate in activities and hobbies you like.
- Maintain privacy.
- Respect one another’s likes and needs.
How do you help maintain a healthy relationship? What are some of your tips and tricks you use? The first ten people to comment on this post and share this article on Facebook or Twitter will be entered into a drawing to win a $50 gift card for a local restaurant. Then the first ten people to like this post on Facebook and retweet it on Twitter will be entered to win Men Are from Mars, Women Are from Venus: The Classic Guide to Understanding the Opposite Sex a book by John Gray, Ph.D.
(by Community Assistant, Jessica Brown)