Many of you recently participated in a sustainability survey regarding energy use and recycling, which was appreciated. As you may or may not know, we do have a recycling program here through our Waste Management service that we would like to further educate you about.
There are THREE (3) separate recycling dumpsters on the property: one next to the trash compactor by Building 2; one by the dumpster area between Buildings 5 & 6; and one by the dumpster area across from Building 8 next to the maintenance shop. We encourage you to use these recycling bins by separating out the recyclable materials from your trash. Please make sure that you clean out excess food from any recyclable containers before putting them into the recycling dumpsters.
Here are the items that you can and should place in the recycling dumpsters:
- Plastics # 1 through # 7
- Metal food and beverage cans
- Aluminum and bi-metal cans
- All colored glass
- Paperboard boxes (cereal, tissue, shoes, etc.)
- White office paper, computer paper, magazines, newspapers, catalogs
- Phone books
- Newspapers should be placed separately in paper bags or under or beside the recycle bin. Do not bundle or place them in plastic bags.
Here are items that CANNOT be recycled:
- Plastic used to hold automotive fluids or toxic chemicals
- Light bulbs
- Window glass
- Drinking glasses
- Glass plates (dinnerware)
Also, please DO NOT place regular trash into the recycling dumpsters as Waste Management will charge us for a regular trash haul rather than the discounted recycling materials rate, which can be hundreds of dollars more.
Thanks for doing your part in helping to make Vulcan Village “Green!”
What practices do you do in your apartment or at home to recycle, reuse, and reduce? Every resident who leaves a comment on this blog post with an idea or suggestion will receive a Vulcan Village t-shirt as supplies last.